Sunday 1 September 2019

Review: The Doctor - Lisa Stone


Title: The Doctor
Author: Lisa Stone
Published: June 2019
Source: Library Checkout
Star Rating: 3

How much do you know about the couple next door? 

When Emily and Ben move in next door to Dr Burman and his wife Anita, they are keen to get to know their new neighbours. Outgoing and sociable, Emily tries to befriend the doctor’s wife, but Anita is strangely subdued, barely leaving the house, and terrified of answering the phone. 

When Emily goes missing a few weeks later, Ben is plunged into a panic. His wife has left him a note, but can she really have abandoned him for another man? Or has Emily’s curiosity about the couple next door led her straight into danger? [Goodreads]

My Thoughts: 

This whole story revolves around how much do you know your neighbours – definitely a tried and tested subject for thriller, but one that can be done really well. Emily and Ben move in next door to Dr Burman and his wife Anita, who like to keeps themselves very much to themselves. Emily tries her best to befriend Anita but she is strangely resistant. Then Emily goes missing and Ben finds a note saying she’s left him for another man but something about it seems suspicious…

I was so intrigued by this synopsis, and I will admit this whole book was one crazy ride, going in directions I never would have guessed from that blurb. However, sadly for me, it was all a bit too much. I found I could never get over my disbelief of the whole situation (quite tricky to write about when I’m trying not to spoil you!). It was a shame because overall it was a solid, well-written thriller with a very original take on the next-door-neighbour trope. In fact, I actually think a lot of you will enjoy this one and the storyline will work really well for you. It has a good average rating on Goodreads and a lot of people definitely seem to have really enjoyed it, so I’m in the minority on this one for not fully getting into it.


I will say it did have a very addictive quality to it and I really wanted to keep reading to see how it all unfolded, but for me it was just too unrealistic for me to properly enjoy it and the twists at the end ended up falling flat for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...